The Blues comic book was specially designed to introduce readers to the unique story of the blues and its singular place in history. As educators and teaching musicians know, it’s difficult to cover the many important highlights in blues history — especially in a typical 1-2-hour program or class. The blues comic book is an easy way to offer an exciting take-home overview participants and students (ideally between grades 3-12) can read again and again.
Bring music and cultural history to life.
Teaching about the blues is an important part of any quality education. This “roots” music is an American original, reflecting the culture, struggles, and triumphs of the African-American experience — lessons we can all learn from and use to cope with life’s many challenges. Kids, especially, can benefit from learning about America’s history, geography, and the healing powers of blues songwriting.
But more than that, blues is the inspiration for a huge span of today’s music, from R&B, country, and rock ’n’ roll, to pop, rap, hip-hop, and jazz — something that makes learning about this genre very relevant for today’s kids.
The Blues comic book is historically accurate, politically correct, racially sensitive, and printed on high-quality glossy stock, making it the perfect addition to any classroom and a great primer when used as part of other lessons or projects.
• Historically accurate and racially sensitive
Impressive! If it means anything coming from me, right on!"
What it Teaches:
• Reading. Nothing gets them reading more than a comic book.
• Geography. From Africa to the Delta to Chicago.
• History. Slavery, juke joints, sharecropping, spirituals and work songs, the great migration, blues instruments, famous musicians, and the birth of rock ‘n’ roll!
• Songwriting. Song structure and content ideas to get kids writing.
• How to make your own instruments and music.
© 2019 Blues Comix. All Rights Reserved.